Have you ever tried octopus? One of our favorite dishes in the whole world is croatian octopus salad with fresh tomatoes and onions. It’s fabulous with olive oil and the delicoius white croatioan bread.
It’s been on our list of things to learn how to make it for years, but octopus isn’t exactly easy to find at the local markets in Austria. So we are lucky that someone showed us how to prepare it here in Croatia 😀
We were cooking the octopus, blanching it first, then slow cooking it in its own juices over a bed of aromatic herbs. The slow cooking without added liquid concentrates the octopus’ flavor, while the octopus absorbs the flavor from the herbs.
The slow cooking also helps cook the octopus so that the meat is chewy but soft.
- One 2 pound octopus, cleaned (if it’s frozen, it’s cleaned already)
- herbs of your choice
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Prepare the Octopus as mentioned in the begining (slow cooking)
- Cut the Onions and tomaties
- Mix all Together and prepare a dressing out of olive oil, vinegar and line juice
- Serve it with fresh bread and olive oil